Saturday, March 17, 2007

In the beginning......

I've decided to start a blog, obviously. Contrary to the title, I am not a Medic, at least not yet. I am a Paramedic student. I work for a local agency as an Intermediate while I'm finishing school. I've only got 2 months left and it's all over, finally. I've been reading other EMS blogs like Ambulance Driver, Rocky Mountain Medic and Baby Medic just to name a few and thought I'd jump on the band wagon as well. I don't have the medical knowledge of some and none of the writing prowess of others, but I guess I'll give the the ole' blue ridge try. My goal here is to try to relate some of the thoughts and emotions that I have felt being a student and working in EMS.

I guess this is the part that I tell you, the reader, about myself.... I'm 27 years old and the step-father of 2, with one of my own on the way. I've been around EMS/Fire/Rescue for all my life, my Dad was a Medic for years before wising up and moving on to bigger and better. Even though I was a volunteer for quite awhile, I never thought of it as a career until about 3 years ago. Not sure what made me take the plunge, but either way here I am. I worked as a Basic EMT for about 2 years and now I have been working as an Intermediate for about 1. Sometimes I think I'm trying to pay my dues and work myself up through the ranks. Although I know there are some out there that think 3 years is nothing, and I know in a sense they are right, but oh well, I'm doing what I can. Other than that there's not much to tell...

No comments: